No announcement yet.

CORONAVIRUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massachusetts isn't on lockdown (or rather, a "shelter-in-place" order is not in effect), but at least two cities have made the call, so we're preparing for that to happen where we live.

A nurse acquaintance's take I had heard: it isn't so much that social distancing and flattening the curve is to prevent people from getting infected, but to buy time while resources are shored up and treatments are developed, and that the expectation for the future shouldn't be "if" you get the virus, but "when".

It would be great to parlay this inactivity into a general strike come May, but I guess that only works if the right people are hurting.

Comment

Michigan's governor issued a stay-at-home order. I haven't been out of the house since Thursday. I will have to go out Wednesday morning for groceries, and I plan to get enough to last us another week. I've just been hunkering down and playing Animal Crossing. That game came out at the perfect time.
      Lil' Bean is here!

Comment

Originally posted by Kefka Jr. View Post
        A nurse acquaintance's take I had heard: it isn't so much that social distancing and flattening the curve is to prevent people from getting infected, but to buy time while resources are shored up and treatments are developed, and that the expectation for the future shouldn't be "if" you get the virus, but "when".
        This argument makes a lot more sense, but we're going to need a lot more than 2-4 weeks of a societal shutdown to shore up the resources needed to combat this.

The title of the video below is misleading, but Ron Paul once again is the voice of reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYH0LskZWVg

It would be great to parlay this inactivity into a general strike come May, but I guess that only works if the right people are hurting.
        This would get the "leaders" attention, and likely make them become extremely violent and turn their mass-murdering actions directly onto us. Such a strike may be necessary though to achieve the degree of change needed, but I think it would be impossible to keep it non-violent given the sorts of people that claim the right to rule over us.

The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Schools in Nevada got delayed again! Instead of going back on April 6, 2020, we're going back on April 16, 2020.
          This is a random post signature that serves no other purpose than to get you to read something. =P

Comment

Here's an interesting paper that is relevant to the societal effects of this pandemic:

It is titled: "Catastrophic Shocks Through Complex Socio-Economic Systems: A Pandemic Perspective", by David Korowicz

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...-pandemic2.pdf
            Last edited by The Toecutter; 03-24-2020, 05:20 PM.
            The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

All infected counties in Oklahoma have been put under a "safer at home" order. Anyone who can work from home must work from home. All nonessential businesses in infected counties must close down today and stay closed for 21 days. People who are in at-risk groups (compromised, suppressed immune system, or age groups) are urged to self-isolate for over a month.

My company is considered essential, because we process the digitization of medical labs/test paperwork, and the company who handles them is now handling all the Oklahoma-based coronavirus testing. So we are essential almost directly. Which means I get to keep showing up to work in the middle of a pandemic!
              "Mindless killing doesn't do a lot for me anymore." - Sampson

Comment

And they couldn't set you up to work remotely because you're digitizing paperwork. From what I gather your work is allowing other people to work remotely.

Comment

Precisely that. There are certain parts of our company that can be done remotely, but probably 80% of it is "gotta be at the building with access to the physical records and the scanning hardware".
                  "Mindless killing doesn't do a lot for me anymore." - Sampson

Comment

Supposedly hydroxychloroquine can treat the virus:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-z-paks-video/

youtube has been taking the videos down and the mainstream media has gotten very quiet. Other countries are starting to use it with success, but at $0.25 a pill, there's no money in it for big pharma. The FDA has banned doctors in the U.S. from accessing it as readily as they used to.
                    Last edited by The Toecutter; 03-26-2020, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X